Logo
 
 
12/5/2019
 
 
 
 
 
Owner: Central Of Georgia
Model:Alco RS3Built As:CG 147 (RS3)
Serial Number:80154Order No:
Frame Number:Built:7/1952
Other locos with this serial:  CG 147(RS3)
  Page Controls   View:  Pics Per Page:
Dothan district local
Title:  Dothan district local
Description:  The Dothan district local is seen at Albany GA enroute to Dothan AL with a coach being used as a spacer car due to weight restrictions over the Chattahoochee River which prohibited locomotives being operated over it couple together. The date is approximate but it should have been in the mid to late 1960's since the locomotives are in the Southern "tuxedo" scheme. Southern acquired the Central of Georgia in 1963 and began painting the CofG's locomotives in the Southern "tuxedo" style while lettering them for the CofG. In the late 1960's the paper mill in Cedar Springs underwent an expansion and the increased business resulted in trios of EMD's being used on the Dothan district. The spacer coach was also replaced at this time by spacer boxcars. For a view of the Dothan district local using EMD's and boxcars as spacers see: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1010597
Photo Date:  1/1/1967  Upload Date: 3/30/2010 8:35:56 PM
Location:  Albany, GA
Author: 
Categories: 
Locomotives:  CG 147(RS3)
Views:  2415   Comments: 7


Site Design ©2001-2016 Tim Huemmer
Photos © respective authors
  Contact: info@rrpicturearchives.net