|Amtrak Lounge 9601 at about Roosevelt Road in Chicago, Illinois on August 12, 1982, Kodachrome by Chuck Zeiler. According to the book, Amtrak By The Numbers, the 9601 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1958 as C&NW 903 configured with 48 coach seats (32 lower, 16 upper), 32 diner seats (24 lower, 6 upper), and a small kitchen. It was converted to a snack coach in 1970, sold to Amtrak in 1974, retired by Amtrak in February 1990. Note that the doors only opened as far as pictured. There were luggage racks in the vestibule behind the partially closed doors.